Tuesday, July 30, 2013

My Red Tinted Glasses

In Sophie’s World, Alberto, a philosopher, explains how reason can limit the way the world is perceived. He does this by having Sophie try on a pair of glasses with red tinted lenses. When she tries them on she sees the world as she normally would; however, now everything has a red hue to it.  Just like how the glasses limit Sophie’s color perception, reason can limit everyday life.  
       
     As a young child I was diagnosed with anxiety. I tend to look at the world as a more frightening place at times due to small challenges. You could say anxiety is my pair of red tinted glasses. I take a small situation and make it into something bigger. I know it is irrational; however, my reason clouds reality. Things that my peers might find no big deal can seem like the end of the world in my perspective. For some unknown reason I perceive the little things in life as problematic.
          
  I know because of my dark perspective I have missed out on some of life’s greatest gifts. I am afraid of how people view me, so I have trouble talking to strangers and making new friends. Going out and having fun can sometimes cause me to become anxious, thus causing me to be a homebody. Driving even causes me to become uncomfortable due to my fear I will accidently hurt others, so I am a seventeen year old girl who still doesn’t have her permit.  I have recently come to believe that I need to perceive the world in a new light, so I can live my life to the fullest. I hope to one day be able take off my glasses and see the world as the beautiful place that it is. 

       
     Everybody perceives the world differently or wears a different pair of tinted glasses if you will. There are all different ways to perceive the world, and everybody has their own perspective on life. Some may see it as a slightly frightening place like me or as a happy place where they are to have as much fun as possible. Others may see it as a waiting room before they reach eternal life.  

No comments:

Post a Comment