Sophie’s World has provided me with knowledge on a topic I
was unfamiliar with, philosophy. While reading Sophie’s World I found myself extremely engrossed with the ideas of
certain philosophers. It is amazing what people thought of long before I was
alive. There were many philosophers I found myself agreeing with while reading Sophie’s World; however, there were also
a couple philosophers I had a hard time concurring with.
I mostly agree with Darwin and his ideas on evolution – that living creatures change over time to adapt to their surroundings, because there is so much evidence to support his theory. Also, I agree with his idea that evolution occurs due to the longing to live. The toughest and fittest will be the species that prevails. Two other philosophers I agree with are St. Augustine and St. Thomas Aquinas. Their ability to relate philosophy with the Bible was amazing. I especially agree with Aquinas’s theory that God gave us a conscience to have us live the way He believes is right. Lastly, I agree with most of the Cynics beliefs. It is true that material things do not bring happiness. True happiness can be attained by anyone, the rich or the poor.
Freud’s idea that dreams are merely “wish fulfillments” seems highly unlikely to me. As an experienced dreamer – I would say some dreams could be wish fulfillments; however some dreams are totally random and do not make a lick of sense. I also have a hard time agreeing with the Epicureans and their belief that the sole goal in life is to attain the highest possible pleasure. Often people obtain pleasure at the expense of others, and that to me – is not worth the price.
Before reading Sophie’s World I was burrowed deep down within the rabbit’s fur. Like most others I was comfortable there and never had any reason to ponder life and all its wonders. As I was reading Sophie’s World I found myself slowly making my way higher and higher up the rabbit’s fur. I had finally begun to realize the importance of questioning things. Now I feel as if I have finally reached the top of the fur to stare up at the universe.
No comments:
Post a Comment